Fujifilm have now announced the firmware update for the X-E2, and with them installed it’s almost like having a new camera. Here’s a list of the new enhancements.
- There’s a new autofocus system using the cameras hybrid AF system. A new algorithm gives enhanced performance in low light and low contrast conditions.
- Continuous shooting with AF-C at up to 7 frames per second.
- Improved AF detection range with phase detection of 0.5EV an improvement from the previous 2.5EV
- Face detection AF can now also have eye detection to focus accurately on human eyes
- Auto macro function that eliminates the use of the designated button that can now be assigned a different function
- New AF zone and wide/tracking modes that ensures sideway movements can be captured.
- Electronic shutter that can be used at up to 1/320000sec either on its own, in conjunction with the mechanical shutter or the user can just use the mechanical shutter.
- New user interface in the viewfinder
- Shutter sound can now be muted if required.
- White balance bracketing
- Enhanced auto ISO settings od Auto1/Auto2 or Auto3.
- Exposure compensation control in manual (this is the biggy for me).
- A new live view function that emulates what the naked eye actually sees in terms of colour and contrast
- EVF and LCD colour control to adjust the hue of the screens.
- New video frame rates
- Manual shooting in Video mode
- Phase detection in Instant AF mode
- Expansion of shutter speed in Program shift mode
- Improved shutter speed dial operation which gives a wider range of exposure times in T from 30 secs to 1/320000 secs. This is set by the command dial. (This sounds really good)
- Name of the silent mode has been changed to avoid confusion
- Direct selection of AF area using pad and not having to hold Fn key.
- Unlocked AE-L. AF-L buttons. (this would be great if AF-On was available – however I still don’t think it is).
- Variable focus area during MF changed with the AF-L button
- Q menu customization (this is another excellent part of the update)
- Interlocking of metering and focus areas when spot metering is selected.
All-in-all this is a fantastic update. A lot of what X-E2 users asked for has been included. The update is thought to include a lot of what the new X-E2s will have in terms of controls. Other manufacturers should take note.
This update will be available for download on February 4.
The full details of the update can be found here.